Thursday, March 8, 2012

What's a Mola-Mola???

Greetings faithful fans and followers!!!

The reason why so many people come to Bali to dive is the prospect of seeing one of the most amazing fish in sea. The Mola Mola (or Oceanic sunfish, or "mambo") can be seen around the waters of Bali  mostly during the summer months and early autumn. People make the treck to Bali in hopes of being able to spend a dive getting up close and personal with this rare, almost prehistoric looking fish (and then going home and bragging to all their friends about it).


So why is the Mola Mola so cool? Well firstly it looks like no other fish in the sea. Imagine a big flat pancake (and by big I mean 2 meters from top to bottom), now imagine two long fins, one on the top and one on the bottom sticking out perfectly straight from the centre of the pancake. Now, give the pancake and eye and a mouth. Voila! Hello Mr. Mola Mola.


"But where's the tail Joe??? My God! Where's the tail!!!???"


Well curious onlooker, there isn't really one...well there is but for whatever reason, the Mola Mola was left out of the evolutionary "here you go have a tail" party. So now it just has a litttle stumpy that all the other fish make fun of.


"Ha! You call THAT a tail!!" Bah!!


Poor Mola-Mola....
In addition to being the lame kid at the party who shows up with no tail, the Mola Mola also has the unfortunate circumstance of suffering from one of the highest rates of parasitic infections in the sea. Ya, ya I know you're thinking...man, what a catch! No tail, parasites, big, round and flat. This guy is definitely the one at the party who hangs out at the refreshment table, dateless and awkward. 
Unfortunate for the fish yes, but not unfortunate for us voyeuristic divers. You see, the Mola Mola has come up with an incredible work around for his rather unsightly skin issues. As we all know, Bali is famous for its cheap and luxurious spas and skin treatments. Well, the Mola Mola has apparently decided to take part in the action as well.  During Mola Mola season, these fish follow the thermaclines to the shallower waters around Nusa Penida in Bali for a little bit of pampering thanks to the hundreds of banner fish that live in the local reefs.
Once they hit a shallow enough level (often around 20m in Crystal Bay) they stop still in the water and float motionlessly. This allows schools of bannerfish to surround them and get about the business of picking off all their parasites. Not exactly my idea of a tasty meal but the bannerfish seem to enjoy it and the Mola Mola gets a good cleaning. The bonus side effect? If you're lucky enough to stumble by one of these spa treatments in action, you are pretty sure to be able to spend a good chunk of time just floating beside one of these gentle giants. They are truly amazing.

It's no coincidence that the Blue Season Bali logo includes a Mola Mola



It was the Mola Mola that first brought me to Blue Season Bali. I did tons of research on the internet and all signs pointed towards Blue Season  as being the best. Their Mola Mola and Manta Madness dive safaris promised to offer the best chance of seeing not only Mola Mola but also giant manta rays at "Manta Point"
Well I was sold!
And I wasn't disappointed either. Over my three day dive safari I spent 2 days with the mola mola. Up close and personal with the tailess, parasite infested wonderfish!! It was amazing. Yes, I know that it is in Mother Nature's hands what we run across in the sea but Blue Season Bali's dive guides know their stuff and seem to have an uncanny ability to spot what their clients are looking for. I have since been back to Blue Season twice, once in October and once in February. In October I was once again lucky enough to have an amazing Mola Mola encounter. We spent at least 10 minutes hovering within 1-2 meters of a giant Mola Mola in crytal clear visibility. I was truly amazing.


This is just one of the many reasons why I want to win The Best Dive Job so badly. It was after my Mola Mola dive safari that I spoted the poster for The Best Dive Job on the wall of the dive centre. It was calling to me like a lighthouse in the fog of my rather uninspiring life. I had to seize the chance. The thought of being able to spend my working day with these amazing fish is more than I can imagine! The thought of being able to take divers, new and old, out to see them for the first time is even better.


A Mola Mola enjoying one of Bali's famous skin care spa treatments....





Help me win Blue Season Bali's Best Dive Job in the World so that I can live out my dream. I've never wanted anything so badly in my life.


Please take a minute to like my facebook page
and comment on my application page on the Best Dive Job Blog by clicking HERE scrolling down to the bottom of the page and telling Blue Season why I deserve to win.
Please share my battle with all your friends and colleagues. There are only 7 days left in the competition and I am still in it to win it!! Please help me stay at the top!!

Also take minute to check out Blue Season Bali's Website. They aren't just in the business of Mola Mola. They have tons of different dive safaris and dive excursions around Bali as well as internships for those of you who are looking to go pro (like me!!!) Check out the website, find a safari you like, vote for me and then come after I win. I will be your guide!!! :)

Only 7 days until the winner is announced!!!
Joe Zeiler is the best choice for the final prize!! Let's make sure Blue Season Bali knows it!!!
COMMENT, SHARE, COMMENT, SHARE, COMMENT, SHARE, COMMENT, SHARE!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment