Sunday, March 11, 2012

Taking a moment


Today is an important day that cannot be overlooked or played down.
One year ago today the lives of so many of my friends and adopted family were thrown into chaos and irreconsiliable grief as the earthquake, Tsunami and meltdown and the Fukushima nuclear plant changed the course of Japanese history forever. I can remember sitting in a restaurant across from school watching the footage on CNN...at first I couldn't even begin to absorb what was happening to a place that I called home for years. I, along with the rest of the world, simply sat in shock and disbelief. How could a single moment in time be so incredibly destructive?

One year on as I've been battling away at this competition I have had some of the most incredible support from my Japanese friends, their friends, and those who I met while living there. Amidst all the chaos of their lives, the constant stress and struggle they face each day, they have managed to find the time to help me. This is truly what the Japanese people are all about. They are the most resilient, positive and forward thinking people I have ever had the priviledge of meeting. Their ability to look beyond themselves, to share whatever they have is something everyone in the world could learn from. I still cry sometimes when I see those images on TV. If my heart aches one year on, I can't imagine how the Japanese people must feel. 

Today is an important day to stop and take a moment to reflect on the tens of thousands of people who lost their lives and the millions more who are now living in the shadow of such an overwhelming event. 

We as divers spend our days in awe of the beauty Mother Nature. We fight to preserve her and protect her. We enjoy her when she is calm and tranquil. But we need not forget that she can also be a powerful beast and that should be a constant reminder that we need to respect her all the more. 

To all my friends, family, colleagues and acquaintances in Japan. My heart goes out to you today. You have forever left an imprint on my life with your kind nature, your strong spirit and your resilience in the face of chaos. You truly are an amazing country full of some of the most amazing people I've ever met. 

I wish you great strength today as you take time to remember and pray. I am right there with you.  



J

1 comment:

  1. That was beautifully said. I couldn't agree with you more.

    Kirsch

    ReplyDelete