Thursday, February 9, 2012

Zen Resort and Spa - yet another perk of winning The Best Dive Job 2012

Greetings fans, followers and admirers,


Well, there are officially only 5 days left until the shortlist of candidates is selected for Blue Season Bali's The Best Dive Job. It's been a LOOOONG journey getting this far. I've been battling away for the past 4 months spreading the word about Blue Season Bali, getting people to like my facebook page, comment on my application and view my blog. I think this could go down as the longest ongoing job application ever but if I'm successful it will all be worth it. Even if I don't win I must admit that the whole adventure has been pretty fun. Getting people interested in diving and Bali and the whole lifestyle of being a dive professional. I think I've inspired a few people to take the plunge already! I also can't lie, I have enjoyed getting up every morning to check my fan page to see if there are more fans and check my email to see new support photos from around the world. It's like a never ending advent calendar, a treat every day for month and months!!!


People often say that technology has made us grow further apart, moving away from face to face contact, making us less civil, less polite. We tweet and post, and like and poke but nothing of much more depth. This whole experience has taught me that nothing could be further from the truth. I have, through the magic of social media, taken my dream around the globe to a level I never thought possible. I've received comments of support, pictures, videos, "likes" and emails from friends I haven't spoken to in years, family of friends and friends i've never met. It's amazing how people can get so inspired by someone taking a risk and pursuing their dream.
Anyway, I'm waxing poetic a bit which is not the reason why I started this post....I actually want to write about another cool bonus that I will get if I win!


A while back I told you all about The Menjangan Resort in the North West of Bali...well that's not the only fancypants resort that Blue Season Bali (and consequently the Best Dive Job Winner) is affiliated with. They also have a dive operation running out of Zen Resort and Spa in Puri Jati which is about a 40 minute drive from the docks to Menjangan island. Zen isn't primarily a diving resort, instead it's an ayurvedic, yoga and nature resort that offers all sorts of activities and treatments to help you get down with mother nature whether it's through an early morning yoga session, meditation, an ayurvedic spa treatment, rice paddy treking, eco-forest walks or a trip to the hot springs. Of course let's not forget the most important thing Zen offers - good diving.


Puri Jati is well known for its excellent "macro" and "muck" diving. Yes, I know - the first thing you probably are thinking is "Muck! Yuck!" but muck diving is actually pretty cool! I haven't been able to do a lot of muck diving in my short and unillustrious career as a recreational diver but from what I've experienced and what I've heard about Puri Jati, it's not to be missed. Muck diving is not for those who want to spend their time getting up close and personal with the big guys, instead it's all about hunting for the elusive little things. Octopus, snails, nudibrances, scorpion fish, dragonets, ornate and ghost pipefish. These things take patience and a sharp eye to find but are well worth it when you do. It seems as though the most intricate and detailed creatures come in small (and often well hidden) packages. The "scenery" of muck diving isn't the spectacular coral gardens that come to mind when you think of Bali diving but is instead usually muddy bottom, sometimes strewn with debris of old bamboo or wood...and at times, unfortunately, rubbish discarded by boats. But this can actually make the dive more interesting because it all provides cracks and crevices for interesting little creatures to snuggle into. This is real underwater treasure hunting!


The most exciting thing in the sea around PJ (as lazy people such as myself - and mostly everyone else calls it) is the incredible mimic octopus. Discovered only about 20 years ago, this is arguably the coolest thing in the sea. For reasons beyond anyone's understanding, the mimic has somehow evolved into an expert copycat. It can mimic over 15 different species of animal under the water chosing which one it wants to be based on the situation (and the predators) it finds itself amongst. They are shy and rare but they are in the waters around Zen Resort and I'M GONNA SPOT ONE! I have amazing diving karma, the cosmos owe me a mimic for sure....right after that ayurvedic spa treatment and 4 course meal I'll be hitting up as part of what Zen has to offer.
The winner of the Best Dive Job gets to spend a little bit of time at Zen not only hunting for the mimic but also get pampered and spoiled as only Zen can.


So help me win win win so that I can find the mimic and find "myself" ayurvedic style at Zen Resort and Spa!!!

And just in case you didn't believe me, here's a video to prove it!




You guys know the drill:


1) like my facebook fan page
2) go to my application page, scroll WAY down to the bottom and leave a comment of support
3) post it on your Facebook page, ask your friends to support me too.


Let's make the 4 months of battling for Bali worth it. Get me to Bali so I can chill with octopuses.




Cheers from a very un-ayurvedic, smoky, tuktuk filled city
J

No comments:

Post a Comment